Do you ever feel like an advertisement, product or website is following you? You’re shopping online and you decide against an item, and moments later their website is being advertised on your Facebook newsfeed? No need to be worried, you’re not being followed! Well, actually you kind of are. This is a nifty tactic called remarketing, used by many ecommerce websites to reconnect with previous visitors of their website.

What is Remarketing?

Remarketing is an online marketing tool that helps you connect with people who have previously visited your website. When people leave your site without buying anything, remarketing helps you reach these potential customers once again through relevant ads across the web, or when they Google search. Through remarketing, companies have the opportunity to reintroduce a product that was previously turned down. These companies utilize remarketing in hopes to improve sales and reignite interest of previous visitors.

How does it Work?

So how are these companies following you like a shadow on the Internet? It’s actually quite simple. These sites add in a small piece of code into their website. Every time a new visitor comes to their site, the code drops an anonymous browser cookie. Later, when the cookied visitor browses the Web, the cookie will let the retargeting provider know when to serve ads, ensuring that their ads are served only to people who have previously visited their site. (Retargeter)

Why it Works.

Facebook and Google advertise for millions of different products and companies daily, but most of the time it is irrelevant to your interests, so you disregard them. But what if all the ads on your browser were your favorite brands and products? Distracting, huh? Well that’s the point. These companies want to reintroduce their products to you by displaying the products and websites you visit most often. Generally, 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. Retargeting brings back the other 98%. (Adroll)

Other Types of Remarketing:

Search Remarketing:

Sometimes referred to as a form of “behavioral retargeting”, where a user of a search engine will be targeted with ads based on their searches. The searcher didn’t have to visit their website for the ad to show up, but only search similar products or companies.

Email Remarketing:

If a user put something in their shopping bag on the company’s website and left the website, an email can be sent to the user pretty much saying “Hey, you should come back and buy that stuff you wanted!”

Contextual Remarketing:

When websites share similar customers with similar interests, they can partner up to share their cookies. So if a visitor leaves one site and visits their partner’s site later, an ad from the first site will show up.

Related Posts

Classic Research

User Research Vs. Market Research: Why the Turf Wars Hurt Us All

User research and market research . . .  similar names, very different disciplines. Classic market research and user experience are different, but at their core, they are very similar in terms of processes and goals. Read more…

User Experience

Danger of the Echo-Chamber

Ever have that friend or colleague, who is a polar opposite of you? Sometimes communication between the two of you may be difficult or unclear. Or maybe, you surround yourself with a network of individuals Read more…

Politics

13 Website Must Haves to Influence Voter Decision Making

We’ve heard the saying, “We live in a technological world, now.” Although some of us may hate that concept, it’s the truth, and we are not escaping it. Everyone has smart phones, laptops, mini tablets, big Read more…